An effortless way to release stress, tension and trauma
Have you ever started to shake before giving a speech, or trembled uncontrollably after a car accident or sports injury? We’ve been taught to hide or suppress these ‘neurogenic’ tremors (their official title) for fear of looking weak or ‘silly’, but in fact this shaking is the body’s natural mechanism for releasing tension and trauma from the system!
Animals do this naturally. A gazelle that has narrowly escaped the clutches of a lion, for example, will run to safety. It will then tremor in order to discharge the excessive tension and stress chemicals in its system, before returning to its grazing, unaffected.
Amazingly, we have the same mechanism inside us. And we can tap back into this healing reflex using a process called TRE.
What is TRE® (Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises)?
TRE is a series of seven simple exercises which trigger a shaking reflex in the body. This shaking or tremoring releases muscle tension, calms the nervous system, and returns the body to a balanced state, where health and healing can occur.
The beauty of TRE is that…
- it’s easy and fun to learn
- it’s effortless – the tremors do all the work!
- it doesn’t involve talking about your stress or trauma history
- it’s empowering – once you’ve learnt TRE, you can practise at home
- it can be used to relieve daily stress as well as physical and emotional trauma
Here’s a 5-minute animation which explains how TRE works:
TRE works in several ways. It…
- releases built up energy and tension held in muscle and connective tissue
- reduces levels of the body’s stress hormones, such as adrenaline
- turns off the fight/flight/freeze response
- turns on the parasympathetic system (the “rest and digest” response)
- tones the vagus nerve (part of the “social engagement system” which helps us to communicate and connect with others)
- allows the body to complete movements which may have been thwarted during a traumatic event
- ‘wakes up’ areas of the body which may be numb or blocked – so we feel more connected to ourselves and ‘whole’
To book an appointment or class, please contact the WOW Clinic in Westbourne.
*Please note: Group classes are NOT recommended if you have any major medical or mental health conditions, or have a history of complex or severe trauma. If you have any concerns about your suitability to learn TRE in a group environment, please contact me before booking a place on the course.
It is not advisable for TRE practitioners to work with anyone who has the following conditions (unless the practitioner has additional psychiatric/professional training):
• Bipolar conditions
• Severe depression
• Borderline Personality Disorder
• Also if you have epilepsy or seizures, you are currently pregnant, or you have recently undergone surgery
TRE Certified Provider
MSc Public Administration (Human Resource Management)
BSc (Hons) Experimental Psychology
Diploma in Cognitive Hypnotherapy
Diploma in Personal Training
Advanced TRE training
TRE for Children (Dr Melanie Salmon)
Deepen Your Practice workshop
Psoas and Pelvis workshop
Further training (online)
The Resilience Toolkit (Lumos Transforms)
Neurogenic Freedom (Fernando Aguiar)
Your Body, Your Money and Trauma (Jane Clapp)