An effortless way to release stress, tension and trauma
Have you ever started to shake before giving a speech, or trembled uncontrollably after a car accident or sports injury? We’ve been taught to hide or suppress these ‘neurogenic’ tremors (their official title) for fear of looking weak or ‘silly’, but in fact this shaking is the body’s natural mechanism for releasing tension and trauma from the system!
Animals do this naturally. A gazelle that has narrowly escaped the clutches of a lion, for example, will run to safety. It will then tremor in order to discharge the excessive tension and stress chemicals in its system, before returning to its grazing, unaffected.
Amazingly, we have the same mechanism inside us. And we can tap back into this healing reflex using a process called TRE.
What is TRE® (Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises)?
TRE is a series of seven simple exercises which trigger a shaking reflex in the body. This shaking or tremoring releases muscle tension, calms the nervous system, and returns the body to a balanced state, where health and healing can occur.
The beauty of TRE is that…
- it’s easy and fun to learn
- it’s effortless – the tremors do all the work!
- it doesn’t involve talking about your stress or trauma history
- it’s empowering – once you’ve learnt TRE, you can practise at home
- it can be used to relieve daily stress as well as physical and emotional trauma
Here’s a 5-minute animation which explains how TRE works:
The tremors in TRE work in several ways. They…
- release muscle and fascial tension
- discharge stress chemicals in the system
- turn off the fight/flight/freeze response
- turn on the parasympathetic nervous system (“rest and digest”)
- tone the vagus nerve (part of the “social engagement system” which helps us to communicate and connect with others)
- ‘wake up’ areas of the body which may be numb or blocked – so we feel more connected to ourselves and ‘whole’
You can learn TRE by booking a 1:1 appointment or coming to a class. Most people need around 3-4 sessions in order to learn the exercises; feel comfortable with the tremors; and know how to stop, start and pause the tremors – so that they can practise safely and effectively at home.
To book an appointment or class, please contact the WOW Clinic in Westbourne.
*NOTE: TRE® is a safe and effective stress release technique for most people. However, if you are receiving treatment or medication for a physical or psychological issue, or you have complex trauma or PTSD, please contact me and also consult your medical practitioner or healthcare provider before booking.
It is not advisable for TRE practitioners to work with anyone who has the following conditions (unless the practitioner has additional psychiatric/professional training):
• Bipolar conditions
• Severe depression
• Borderline Personality Disorder
• Also if you have epilepsy or seizures, you are currently pregnant, or you have recently undergone surgery
My training & qualifications
TRE Certified Provider
Diploma in Cognitive Hypnotherapy
Diploma in Personal Training
MSc Public Administration (Human Resource Management)
BSc (Hons) Experimental Psychology
Advanced TRE training
TRE for Children (Dr Melanie Salmon) 2017
Diaphragm workshop 2018
Deepen Your Practice workshop 2018
Interventions workshop 2018
Psoas and Pelvis workshop 2018
Neurogenic Freedom (online course) – currently studying