An effortless way to release stress, tension and trauma
Have you ever started to shake before giving a speech, or trembled uncontrollably after a car accident or sports injury? We’ve been taught to hide or suppress these ‘neurogenic’ tremors (their official title) for fear of looking weak or ‘silly’, but in fact this shaking is the body’s natural mechanism for releasing tension and trauma from the system!
Animals do this naturally. A gazelle that has narrowly escaped the clutches of a lion, for example, will run to safety. It will then tremor in order to discharge the excessive tension and stress chemicals in its system, before returning to its grazing, unaffected.
Amazingly, we have the same mechanism inside us. And we can tap back into this healing reflex using a process called TRE.
What is TRE® (Tension and Trauma Release Exercises)?
TRE is a series of seven simple exercises which trigger a shaking reflex in the body. This shaking or tremoring releases muscle tension, calms the nervous system, and returns the body to a balanced state, where health and healing can occur.
The beauty of TRE is that…
- it’s easy and fun to learn
- it’s effortless – the tremors do all the work!
- it doesn’t involve talking about your stress or trauma history
- it’s empowering – once you’ve learnt TRE, you can practise at home
- it can be used to relieve daily stress as well as physical and emotional trauma
Here’s a 5-minute animation which explains how TRE works:
TRE works in several ways. It…
- releases muscle tension
- discharges stress chemicals in the system
- turns off the fight/flight/freeze response
- stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system (i.e. “rest and digest”)
- calms heart rate and breathing
- tones the vagus nerve (a part of the parasympathetic nervous system which helps us to connect with ourselves and others)
You can learn TRE by booking a 1:1 appointment or class. Most people need around 3-4 sessions with a certified practitioner in order to learn the exercises; feel comfortable with the tremors; and know how to stop, start and pause the tremors – so that they can practise safely and effectively at home.
To book an appointment or class, please contact the WOW Clinic in Westbourne.
*Important: if you are receiving treatment or medication for a physical or psychological issue and/or you have complex trauma or PTSD, please consult your medical practitioner or healthcare provider and contact me for a chat before booking.
For further TRE info go to www.traumaprevention.com
Certified TRE Provider (TRE College)
Diploma in Cognitive Hypnotherapy
Diploma in Personal Training
MSc Public Administration (Human Resource Management)
BSc (Hons) Experimental Psychology
Advanced TRE training
TRE for Children (Dr Melanie Salmon) 2017
Diaphragm workshop 2018
Deepen Your Practice workshop 2018
Interventions workshop 2018
Psoas and Pelvis workshop (attending October 2018)