An effortless way to release stress, tension and trauma
Have you ever started to shake before giving a speech, or trembled uncontrollably after a car accident or sports injury? We’ve been taught to hide or suppress these ‘neurogenic’ tremors (their official title) for fear of looking weak or ‘silly’, but in fact this shaking is the body’s natural mechanism for releasing tension and trauma from the system!
Animals do this naturally. A gazelle that has narrowly escaped the clutches of a lion, for example, will run to safety. It will then tremor in order to discharge the excessive tension and stress chemicals in its system, before returning to its grazing, unaffected.
Amazingly, we have the same mechanism inside us. And we can tap back into this healing reflex using a process called TRE.
What is TRE® (Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises)?
TRE is a series of seven simple exercises which trigger a shaking reflex in the body. This shaking or tremoring releases muscle tension, calms the nervous system, and returns the body to a balanced state, where health and healing can occur.
The beauty of TRE is that…
- it’s easy and fun to learn
- it’s effortless – the tremors do all the work!
- it doesn’t involve talking about your stress or trauma history
- it’s empowering – once you’ve learnt TRE, you can practise at home
- it can be used to relieve daily stress as well as deeper trauma
Here’s a 5-minute animation which explains how TRE works:
TRE works in several ways. It…
- releases patterns of chronic tension
- turns off the “fight or flight” response
- turns on the “rest and digest” response
- reduces stress hormones in the bloodstream
- tones the vagus nerve (part of the “social engagement system”)
- ‘wakes up’ areas of the body which may be numb or blocked (helping you feel more more alive and ‘whole’)
To book an appointment or class, please contact the WOW Clinic in Westbourne.
*Please note: Group classes are NOT recommended if you have any major medical or mental health conditions, or have a history of complex or severe trauma. Also if you have epilepsy or seizures, you are currently pregnant, or you have recently undergone surgery. If you have any concerns about your suitability to learn TRE in a group environment, please contact me before booking a place on a class.
TRE Certified Provider
MSc Public Administration (Human Resource Management)
BSc (Hons) Experimental Psychology
Diploma in Cognitive Hypnotherapy
Diploma in Personal Training
Advanced TRE training
TRE for Children (Dr Melanie Salmon)
Deepen Your Practice workshop
Psoas and Pelvis workshop
Further nervous system training (online)
The Resilience Toolkit (Lumos Transforms)
Neurogenic Freedom (Fernando Aguiar)
Your Body, Your Money and Trauma (Jane Clapp)
Sense Writing – Rewire Your Creative Writing (Madelyn Kent)